Thursday, January 18, 2018

Does God Really Care About Me?

How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!  And when I wake up, you are still with me.  Psalm 139: 17,18 (NLT)
When mental illness hits you or your family you may wonder if God is really there. Does he care? Well, my prayer is that this story will encourage you that he is there and really does care.
Several years back when David was fleeing the country and hoping all of his problems and mental health concerns would be left behind God showed me in a very tangible way that he knew exactly where David was. David had planned on never returning and I only knew generally where he was. He showed me David’s picture online as if to say, “Here he is, I am with him, and I’ve got this covered. Keep praying, but no need to worry, he will come back.”
I knew immediately that only God could orchestrate something like this against all odds. What were the odds out of the entire planet of 7 plus billion people that GoogleTM Maps would be shooting street view pictures in the exact city at the exact time when David was arriving at his destination complete with his garbage bags of belongings and all?  You can imagine how special I must have felt. This was a very tangible picture of the verse above not only for me, but a snapshot showing me that God was with him too. 
Why does it surprise me that a God that came and died for me, parted the Red Sea, fed the Israelites Angel’s food, fed thousands, and so much more wouldn’t do this thing for me or my son?  It shouldn’t take something like this for me to know I am loved by my God dearly. It showed me that even when everything surrounding David’s circumstances and choices was as the world saw it, falling apart, God was still there.  I knew right at that moment what that verse and several others really meant. 
Now it is years later and I sometimes find myself going back to that moment to remind me of just how much God cares for me.  Even if you haven’t had one of those once-in-a-lifetime-against-all-odds things happen to show you that God is with you, it doesn’t mean that He isn’t. Sometimes it’s hard to see His plan for our lives amidst so much that seems to be going wrong. Even when we can’t see him, He’s There And He Cares!

No comments:

Post a Comment